[ExI] Ebooks Formats and ebook readers

F. C. Moulton moulton at moulton.com
Fri Dec 9 20:49:33 UTC 2011

On 12/09/2011 12:05 PM, Tomasz Rola wrote:

> Yes. And a prospect of my legally bought device being examined by some
> third party, without asking me for permission, is, at least for me,
> totally unappealing.

I should have added that the ereader I currently use is an Aluratek
which is about two years old and is not tied to any vendor but it does
not have any WiFi connectivity.  It does have a 2 GB card that I can
load with whatever I want; I am in complete control.  Of course being
almost two years old it is a couple of generations behind.

As I said I do not recommend the Kindle.  The Nook Tablet and the new
Kobo units both look promising but I have not investigated them in detail.
http://www.kobobooks.com/kobovox
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/p/nook-tablet-barnes-noble/1104687969
One important feature of both of these is that they can take an SD micro
card so it is possible to carry huge amounts of text, video and audio
and have it even if there is no WiFi.

It looks like much of the dedicated ereader only market is being
replaced by tablets and smartphones with the higher end ereaders
becoming Android tablets and thus disrupting the tablet market.

And ebooks are becoming increasingly popular.  One reason is ease of
transport and ease of reading.  A typical ereader or tablet is so much
easier to handle than a large hardback.  And if my eyes get tired then
it is one click of my thumb and the text is enlarged.

Fred