[ExI] Intelligence genes (Was: The Catholic Impact)

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 10:42:13 UTC 2011

On 15 December 2011 23:49, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> Looks like we know less about the genetics of intelligence than we thought:
>
> "Most Reported Genetic Associations with General Intelligence Are Probably
> False Positives"
> http://www.arts.cornell.edu/**econ/dbenjamin/IQ-SNPs-**
> PsychSci-20111205-accepted.pdf<http://www.arts.cornell.edu/econ/dbenjamin/IQ-SNPs-PsychSci-20111205-accepted.pdf>
>
> Short version: intelligence is as heritable as we think, but the effects
> of the genes reported to affect it significantly have not been replicated
> in a fairly big new study. Oops. Back to the drawing board.

If by "general intelligence" we mean "performance in resolving IQ test", I
think that too many phenotypic traits are involved for it to be plausible
that the results be determined by just one or a very few genes, as it
appears to be the case for the "absolute ear" in music.

As you say, however, this does not change much as to the role of one's
genetic profile in achieving the results concerned.

--
Stefano Vaj