[ExI] Hitch belongs to the ages

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Sat Dec 17 13:44:00 UTC 2011

I found him a pleasure to read and to listen to, whether I agreed with him
on the subject in question or not. The nearest, perhaps, we'll get to
encountering Orwell, minus the sf.

I love that the Vatican asked him to serve as the unofficial Devil's
Advocate for Mother Teresa.

And although he forcefully presented his viewpoint, it didn't interfere
with his befriending a wide range of people who violently disagreed
with him, which speaks well of him. Too many people  -- including some
in our community -- will shun someone solely for holding ideas they
disagree with. (When I hold my parties, I have to juggle who to invite,
because W won't attend if X does and likewise for Y and Z.)

This is my favorite picture in the slide show at Vanity Fair:

<http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2011/12/christopher-hitchens-slideshow-201112?slide=13>

He was featured for one of BookTV's three-hour in-depth interviews. If you
didn't catch it:

<http://www.c-spanvideo.org/program/Hitc>

-- David.