[ExI] is a FTL drive a dream without any physics to back it up?

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 01:46:06 UTC 2011

2011/12/16 Stefano Vaj <stefano.vaj at gmail.com>:
> On 15 December 2011 13:58, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
>> I think pioneers would travel as seeds, not as full organisms.
>

> Yes, I always wondered about that. How much do we push the idea, however?
> The "lightest" way to seed AIs at destination might be to send a few
> probiotes likely to inseminate an evolutionary cycle, leading to organisms
> able to transfer themselves on synthetic support. But this is not much more
> emotionally satisfying than send the Voyager with a few records of our
> civilisation towards the big Nothing...

If you send seeds that know their origin, and are designed to want to
send back information, then it is indeed more satisfying than Voyager,
which is definitely a one way communication with minimal chance of
ever even being found, except by the future "us", in which case it
will just get put back into the Smithsonian air and space museum...
LOL.

One of the problems I see with the idea that we were "seeded" by
extraterrestrials is that we aren't quite programmed with the
information to communicate back with whoever put us here... Seems a
little too primitive to just send out protein sequences... So I think
I'll stick with the theory that we evolved naturally in place...until
better evidence for the other comes in.

-Kelly