[ExI] Hitch belongs to the ages

Darren Greer darren.greer3 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 18 02:35:22 UTC 2011

> On Sat, Dec 17, 2011 at 6:44 AM, David Lubkin <lubkin at unreasonable.com>
> wrote:
> > I found him a pleasure to read and to listen to, whether I agreed with
> him
> > on the subject in question or not. The nearest, perhaps, we'll get to
> > encountering Orwell, minus the sf.

Sam Harris said once of him that he was the only man he knew who spoke as
well as he wrote.  High praise, considering how beautifully he did the
latter. What I admire most about him though was his absolute insistence on
considering each issue presented him on its own merits. He refused to be
co-opted by the left or right, and was not afraid of pissing off either if
need be, as long as it meant he was free to reason and debate on his own
terms. No matter what you think of him or his opinions, he was his own man,
which is why he eventually fell afoul of everyone who ever held him up as a
poster boy for a cause.