[ExI] mit's answer to the stanford ai class

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Dec 21 15:38:01 UTC 2011

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of spike
Subject: [ExI] mit's answer to the stanford ai class

http://web.mit.edu/newsoffice/2011/mitx-education-initiative-1219.html

>.The Stanford experiment was a critical breakthrough in education. breaks
the entire classical model of education.a specific day.eliminates. move into
a dormitory.far more flexible and cheaper.minor league football
franchises.reduces education costs dramatically...spike

Oy, I have not yet begun to plumb the depths of this innovation.  It allows
one to use a university like a library, by going to a specific area of
interest while allowing the student to go right to their level of current
expertise.

It throws open the door for anyone with a specific skill to be a
nano-professor.  Hey I like that, nano-professor.  That isn't a professor of
nanotechnology, but rather a person who knows one hell of a lot about one
very specific topic, but does not pretend to have the full skill set or
degrees to be a real professor.  For instance in my own case, I may be the
world's foremost expert in fixing one specific problem on one obscure
motorcycle, the Suzuki Cavalcade.  That bike had a driveline design flaw
which in extreme cases can cause a rear wheel lockup, with truly bad
consequences.  I discovered it in 1999, and learned how to fix it.  It's an
all day job, involving removal of the secondary gear box.  I could make an
online lecture on how to do that on the remaining thousand or so of these
bikes still in service in the world.  So I could be a nano-professor of
Cavalcade secondary gear box hypoid seal repairology.  Nano-professors would
not need to master a wide range of topics, but they would need to master the
hell out of their one or two.

Most of us here have something in our lives that is the one area where we
know more than anyone, even if it is a bit of family history, or even a
memoir.  We will still need classical professors, for some things change
very slowly if they ever change at all.