[ExI] Uploading cautions, "Speed Up"

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 13:55:18 UTC 2011

On 23 December 2011 08:54, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se> wrote:

> If the brain really uses weird computation, like microtubule quantum
> states, then we need to wait for the right hardware. That might take a long
> time, especially if it needs to be dedicated to brain emulation - a fairly
> niche interest.

Why not making use of neurons for those allegedly "exotic",
hard-to-emulate-on-silicon kinds of computations? We know they work.
Squeeze in a cheap, easily available human brain in your "artificial"
intelligence and you are game.

The issue remains of the bandwith available to this organic coprocessor to
communicate with the rest of the system. But as I maintain in my essay on
the subject, as long as computing power becomes less and less of an issue,
you can easily deal with the problem by making communication happen at a
higher and higher level. See the difference in information exchanges
between driving a traditional car to a destination, and having a fully
automatic one to carry you to a given address.

This is why I ultimately think that some aspects of the debate on AGIs
sound a little like those on the sex of the angels... Emulation of
anthropomorphic "intelligence" has little to do IMHO with what
opportunities and dangers are involved in the availability of computational
power, and for whom - the latter, I suspect, essentially for those who do
not have it.

--
Stefano Vaj