[ExI] Uploading cautions, "Speed Up"

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Fri Dec 23 14:29:59 UTC 2011

On 2011-12-23 14:55, Stefano Vaj wrote:
> On 23 December 2011 08:54, Anders Sandberg <anders at aleph.se
> <mailto:anders at aleph.se>> wrote:
>
>     If the brain really uses weird computation, like microtubule quantum
>     states, then we need to wait for the right hardware. That might take
>     a long time, especially if it needs to be dedicated to brain
>     emulation - a fairly niche interest.
>

> Why not making use of neurons for those allegedly "exotic",
> hard-to-emulate-on-silicon kinds of computations? We know they work.
> Squeeze in a cheap, easily available human brain in your "artificial"
> intelligence and you are game.

Assuming it is cheap to squeeze it in. Lab life support technology isn't
that cheap or reliable.

I'm not too worried that brains do something magical mere machines
cannot do. Discovering that they use something weird will likely just
mean that we steal the idea and implement it properly.

--
Anders Sandberg
Future of Humanity Institute