[ExI] Uploading cautions, "Speed Up"

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 23 23:05:29 UTC 2011

Anders version 1.0 wrote:
Exactly! Even if you subscribe to some model of personal identity that
doesn't put too much value in continuity or uniqueness, you might
still want to have plenty of copies since every Spike-moment on
average is a good thing. This is my reasoning for why I want to have a
lot of Anders-moments in the universe: they are fun for the instance
having them.

I tend to think except for a very few choice individuals allowed by
the state and public to have multiple copies (brilliant scientists,
key special forces commandos, some politicians, some captains of
industry, some generals, astronauts, a few artists), that xoxing will
be viewed as highly unethical and made illegal, with stiff penalties.
And it's possible that making multiple copies, biologically or
virtually, may be totally banned, with absolutely no exceptions
allowed.  Think about it, mere biological cloning of whole humans is
currently illegal, and we are talking about the extreme of making
*multiple* copies of minds/individuals! lol

But if it is allowed in a very liberal way, I think it would be a much
better world with lots of Spikes and Anders running around!  : )  I
suspect I might be very disturbed to be around adult copies of myself,
because it would be like staring into a mirror, and not always liking
what I saw...  On the other hand, I would love to raise a clone of
myself, who has my genome, but not my downloaded mind.  I would give
him the love and support I needed, but did not receive during my
childhood.  I suspect it would be very therapeutic experience for me,
though it might be seen as narcissistic by some.

John