[ExI] could a Nigerian (Nigerian - it's a nation) theoretically give away money?

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 04:13:57 UTC 2011

On Mon, Dec 26, 2011 at 5:54 PM, John Grigg <possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Spike, I've read that the Nigerian bad guys are the African equivalent
> of Italy's Mafia, in terms of reputation and effectiveness at their
> criminal tasks.  And I'm not so sure that the crooks there share their
> ill gotten gains with the common people.  In fact, I really doubt
> it...

While they would have to spend some of their money locally, say to
build a big house, the majority of ill gotten African money does go to
buy overseas luxury items. If you look at the history of Idi Amin or
King Faruk, for example, they were importing luxury items and
purchasing arms from non-African arms dealers with lots of their
money. Fact is, there just isn't a lot produced by the local economy
that a despotic dictator could spend millions of dollars on, aside
from the construction of the palace and large government buildings...
is there?

Small time crooks might proportionally spend more of their money in
the local economy as each of them needs their own house/compound...
and this is an argument that I've contemplated that small time crooks
aren't as evil as their large multi-faceted big brothers. It is hard
to find a legitimate person in Africa to help. I THINK I have, but I
could be wrong. My doubts are going down over time... big complaint of
the day was "my aunt is making me pay for sugar, or I can't have
afternoon tea with her." Not exactly a big time scam line, is it? LOL

-Kelly