[ExI] Uploading cautions, "Speed Up"

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Tue Dec 27 09:32:08 UTC 2011

On Sat, Dec 24, 2011 at 9:18 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>>... On Behalf Of Kelly Anderson
>

>>...then I could do simulations without anyone finding out, even if it were
> illegal. You just can't make something illegal when so many people will want
> to do it... -Kelly
>
> Kelly that might be loosely analogous to when the south had slavery but the
> north wanted it to be illegal.  Or when Nazi Germany had slavery, and most
> of the rest of Europe wanted it illegal.  If we apply those very loose
> analogies to the notion of creating self-copies, we can anticipate a war
> between those who would disallow vs those who will enthusiastically embrace
> self-replication.  I can imagine a huge advantage for those who self-copy.

What would the philosophical basis for outlawing self replication? It
would seem you would have to hang it somewhere, and cloning doesn't do
it for me, since each clone has it's own individual experiences and is
no worse than identical twins. Come to think of it, I can't think of a
lot of good reasons to ban human cloning, though there are some...

I was thinking more of the prohibition of alcohol in the US... banned,
but still there was a wine cellar at the white house...

-Kelly