[ExI] Fwd: Book- "It's OK to Die"

MB mbb386 at main.nc.us
Tue Dec 27 18:56:10 UTC 2011

> Which state/s would that be?  And what are the requirements for being allowed
> assisted suicide?  Is beginning senility f i an acceptable cause? Or must it be
> Alzheimers?

It's complex and challenging and different in different places. I looked at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Assisted_suicide

quote:
"Assisted suicide is legal in the three American states of Oregon (via the Oregon
Death with Dignity Act),[35] Washington (by Washington Death with Dignity Act), and
Montana (through the 2009 trial court ruling Baxter v. Montana). There are
relatively substantial barriers to the use of some of these provisions.

For instance, Oregon requires a physician to prescribe medication but it must be
self-administered. The prognosis must be for a life span of 6 months or less. The
person must be a resident of Oregon. A written request for prescription and two oral
requests from the patient are also needed to escape criminal liability, plus written
confirmation by doctor that the act is voluntary and informed. This limited model
has withstood constitutional scrutiny: Gonzales v Oregon 368 F. 3d 1118 (2004),[36]
affirmed by 546 U.S. 243 (2006)"

Regards,
MB