[ExI] Watson On Jeopardy

spike spike66 at att.net
Tue Feb 15 17:55:45 UTC 2011

 On Behalf Of Richard Loosemore:

spike wrote:
>> ... What this taught us is that the best chess players are far more
stupid than we realized.  Chess is a
>> simple game.  It only looks complicated to simple-minded creatures such
as humans.

>Oh, puh-lease!  ;-)

>It taught us that the human brain is so smart that the only way the fools
at IBM could compete with it was by doing a million >times as much brute
force searching...  Richard Loosemore

Richard you are aware that cell phones can now play grandmaster level chess?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIARCS

	--> Hiarcs 13 is the chess engine used in Pocket Fritz 4. Pocket
Fritz 4 won the Copa Mercosur tournament in Buenos Aires, Argentina with
nine wins and one draw on August 4-14, 2009. The 2009 Copa Mercosur
tournament was a category 6 tournament. Pocket Fritz 4 achieved a
performance rating 2898 while running on the mobile phone HTC Touch HD.[6]
Pocket Fritz 4 searches less 20,000 positions per second.[7] <--

The best human players are rated a little over 2800.  There have been only
six humans in history who have crossed the 2800 level.  The tournament
performance of Pocket Fritz 4 on a cell phone (without calling a friend) was
almost 2900.  Some humans have achieved higher results in a particular
tournament than 2900, but this was still extremely impressive.  I found it
interesting how little this was noted in the chess world.  I am hip to what
goes on in that area, but I didn't hear of this result until over a year
after the fact.