[ExI] Watson On Jeopardy

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Feb 15 20:37:08 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 09:55:45AM -0800, spike wrote:

> Richard you are aware that cell phones can now play grandmaster level chess?

Spike, are you aware that your last-generation smartphone
runs rings around a Pentium 3? Fritz goes back to 1992, hardware
was a bit pathetic, then. Right now the thing in your pocket
is more powerful than a desktop PC of start-noughties.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HIARCS
>
> 	--> Hiarcs 13 is the chess engine used in Pocket Fritz 4. Pocket
> Fritz 4 won the Copa Mercosur tournament in Buenos Aires, Argentina with
> nine wins and one draw on August 4-14, 2009. The 2009 Copa Mercosur
> tournament was a category 6 tournament. Pocket Fritz 4 achieved a
> performance rating 2898 while running on the mobile phone HTC Touch HD.[6]
> Pocket Fritz 4 searches less 20,000 positions per second.[7] <--
>
> The best human players are rated a little over 2800.  There have been only
> six humans in history who have crossed the 2800 level.  The tournament
> performance of Pocket Fritz 4 on a cell phone (without calling a friend) was
> almost 2900.  Some humans have achieved higher results in a particular
> tournament than 2900, but this was still extremely impressive.  I found it
> interesting how little this was noted in the chess world.  I am hip to what
> goes on in that area, but I didn't hear of this result until over a year
> after the fact.

So how well does the chess program play Go? Can it learn to play
checkers, and then tic tac toe, and then figure out how to unclog
a kitchen sink?