[ExI] Treating Western diseases

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Tue Feb 15 19:26:27 UTC 2011

Adrian wrote:

>Experimental treatment with only anecdotes to attest to its usefulness.
         :

You posted boilerplate. Is there really anyone here who doesn't know
what you wrote? (And, conversely, I think we're all aware of the deaths
and suffering from the enormous cost and delay of FDA approval.)

This is interesting to me in several respects. First, of course, it's
promising for currently intractable medical conditions. Second, it
raises the point that many of what we label parasites are more
correctly viewed as symbiotes. We should take a closer look at
all the species we block or excise, to see if there's a benefit we are
now losing. Third, for sustainable off-world presence in something
resembling our current organic form, we probably should bring
everything with us, no matter how annoying the species. We still
know far too little biology to be sure we don't need every mold
and every species of cockroach.

-- David.