[ExI] watson on jeopardy

Darren Greer darren.greer3 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 17 10:34:15 UTC 2011

>Note that there are today about a couple dozen top chess computers
cheerfully pummeling each other, with the results being broadcast for all
the worlds people with far too much time on their hands to watch in
pointless fascination.<

What interests me about the difference between chess and word/knowledge
games is the idea of game tree complexity. Chess has a game tree complexity
of 10^123, but how do you measure GTC for something like Jeopardy? For each
question there is only one right answer, and therefore only one right move
and the next question has no relation or dependence upon the question before
it. So comparing jeopardy and chess seems like apples and oranges to me, no?

I just read the Kurzweil article and he points out that Watson is much
closer to being able to pass the Turing test than a chess playing computer
as it is dealing with human language. And so based on that criteria, it is a
step forward no matter how you slice it.

d.

2011/2/17 spike <spike66 at att.net>

> Woohoo!  Watson wins!
>

> http://www.cnn.com/2011/TECH/innovation/02/16/jeopardy.watson/index.html?hpt=T1
>

> Jeopardy isn’t over however.  It is only a matter of time before a
> competing team wants to play machine against machine, or even a three-way
> all machine matchup.  Note that there are today about a couple dozen top
> chess computers cheerfully pummeling each other, with the results being
> broadcast for all the worlds people with far too much time on their hands to
> watch in pointless fascination.  Those games are in some ways more
> interesting to watch than human-human or human-machine games, because they
> tend to be so technically clean and positional, so theoretical.
>

> I can imagine there are already teams working to whoop Watson’s butt.
>

> spike

*There is no history, only biography.*
*
*