[ExI] Watson On Jeopardy

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Feb 18 13:03:21 UTC 2011

On Fri, Feb 18, 2011 at 12:16:33AM -0700, Kelly Anderson wrote:

> > Kelly, do you think 3d integration will be just-ready when
> > CMOS runs into a wall?
>
> Perhaps, perhaps not. But I think ONE out of the several dozen
> competing paradigms will be ready to pick up more or less where the
> last one left off.

*Which* competing platforms? Technologies don't come out of
the blue fully formed, they're incubated for decades in
R&D pipeline. Everything is photolitho based so far, self-assembly
isn't yet even in the crib. TSM is just 2d piled higher and
deeper.

> > Kelly, do you think that Moore is equivalent to system
> > performance? You sure about that?
>
> No. Software improves as well, so system performance should go up

Software degrades, actually. Software bloat about matches the advances
in hardware.

In terms of advanced concepts, why is the second-oldest high
level language still unmatched? Why are newer environments
inferior to already historic ones?