[ExI] Brief correction re Western Democracies

Josh ethersong at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 17:32:37 UTC 2011

Hey, new to the list and was planning on just reading through for a couple
of days but I have to jump in right quick. I think I might have missed a
part of the convo though so if I say something amiss, I apologize.

As a former Mormon whose family is still Mormon, I couldn't not butt in. My
sister went on a mission to Venezuela and my brother is currently on one in
Chile.  We (agnostics, atheists, or those with other spiritual interests)
have to be careful about the way we characterize religious sects. This is
not helping your authority at all. The Mormons do not prohibit apostasy and
the especially don't kill them for leaving the church. If so I would be dead
right now. In fact, I'm not really aware of any full religions with
doctrinally support such a practice although some radical *sects* of some
religions might.

Now granted there are many beliefs that do lead to violence, which I believe
is what this thread is about. But we have to be careful and not eschew all
religions because of the radical beliefs of a few. I know the extropians are
quite down on religion but I think this has to be tread carefully.  Making
assumptions and mistakes like this only alienate people who may have good
reasons for their beliefs.

That's all I'll say for now.

etherfire