[ExI] Call To Libertarians

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Wed Feb 23 08:05:13 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 10:13 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> Well not really.  I do goof around far too much, but this isn't one of those
> times.  I do want us to think of all the alternatives and realize none of
> them are particularly good.  The system the US government is proposing, and
> has actually passed into law (until the Supreme Court knocks it down) will
> not work, even if it were legal.

I agree.

> It requires everyone to buy medical
> insurance, but the penalty for not having it is a small fraction of the cost
> of even basic insurance.  So you know most people will drop their insurance,
> then buy the insurance only when they get sick, go to the doctors to get
> everything taken care of, then drop the policy as soon as the last doctor is
> consulted.  Even with the non-insurance penalty, there is no reasonable way
> to extract money for insurance from those who don't have an income.  Hell a
> child could see that system will collapse.

The thing that frightens me is the thought that maybe that is the
intent of that particular law... I hate thinking that way, but it is
hard not to sometimes.

As for health care, I think you can figure out a lot about what people
believe by talking about spending a million dollars to save a single
premature baby from a natural premature death. The discussion usually
changes somewhat depending on who's million dollars is being
discussed, the family and friends of the child, a charity
organization, the state, the hospital or the insurance company. It
usually gets pretty messy pretty quickly, and exposes basic
philosophical and political outlooks quickly.

-Kelly