[ExI] Brief correction re Western Democracies [WASI am Call To Libertarians]

Damien Sullivan phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu
Wed Feb 23 16:59:54 UTC 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 07:22:06PM +0100, Alfio Puglisi wrote:

>      The first fire
>      station in America was a libertarian establishment founded by
>      Benjamin
>      Franklin. Buy fire insurance from us, and we'll fight the fire when
>      your house goes up. If not, we'll come and protect your insured
>      neighbors. THAT is libertarianism at its farthest point.
>
>    Wow. I don't know how to say this without sounding offensive, but this
>    is remarkably similar to how the mafia operates in southern Italy. Buy
>    protection from us, and we'll make sure that nothing happens to your
>    business. If not, don't call us when some random guy happens to start
>    a fire on your door or your delivery truck in the middle of the
>    night...

AIUI starting fires or sabotaging each other's fire equipment was a
feature in US private firefighting companies.  Private firefighting is
also how Crassus came to own much of Rome.

I'm a bit bemused by the libertarian enthusiasm for private toll roads.
I mean, yes, it's a way to get roads built, but is a society full of
piecemeal tolls, and possibilities to be denied passage by a road owner
whod oesn't like you, actually desirable?  How does an economy of tolls
everywhere compare to that of a free travel zone?

-xx- Damien X-)