[ExI] Call To Libertarians

Ben Zaiboc bbenzai at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 24 17:39:31 UTC 2011

Darren Greer <darren.greer3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've been thinking about
> this kind of
> society for awhile, and how it would work. One of the
> answers I've come up
> with, that sounds similar to what you describe, is to
> establish a system of
> territorial morality, where the doctrine is "you do your
> thing and I'll do
> mine and it's all OK as long as it doesn't hurt anyone
> else."

So how do you cope with a group of people who believe that, for instance, foetuses are people, and you are hurting someone else if you have an abortion?  Or that you're hurting your children if you don't bring them up believing in a particular god, thus condemning them to eternal torture?

Doesn't that give them grounds to interfere in the way you want to live, since, by their lights, you've violated the "as long as it doesn't hurt anyone else" principle?

I don't see much chance of coming to an agreement of what 'hurting someone else' actually means, that would satisfy everyone.

Ben Zaiboc