[ExI] General comment about all this quasi-libertarianism discussion

Richard Loosemore rpwl at lightlink.com
Sat Feb 26 17:43:46 UTC 2011

Since this list is now *saturated* with political speculation (not to
mention the occasional bit of hyperbolic ranting and liberal use - er
sorry, I mean ;-) libertarian use - of the term "BS"), I am going to
take this opportunity to try a smackdown, using a weapon that other
people LOVE to use against anyone who presents ideas about AGI on this list.

Which is to say:  if you think these libertarian/anarchist proposals are
so great, WHERE IS THE CODE?

I mean that literally.  Where are your system simulations, which show
that society will remain stable when, for example, most government
funded institutions are abolished?  Where are your simulations -- your
detailed, supercomputer-sized models, containing large numbers of
realistic constraints -- of how economic systems will be able to
function normally when the Federal Reserve is abolished and currency is
replaced by, e.g., Joule-Credits?

As I explained in a previous (widely ignored) post, most people on this
planet have a pretty good understanding of the fact that these kinds of
libertarian/anarchist ideas might sound good to some people, in theory,
but they would actually lead to a degeneration of civilized human
society.  If people here claim that these ideas would NOT lead to such a
degeneration, PROVE IT.  The majority of humanity has a strong intuition
that the consequences would be disastrous, so give us some EVIDENCE that
our intuitions are mistaken by showing us actual, believable simulations
of human society.

All I hear at the moment is empty philosophizing and BS :-).

Richard Loosemore