[ExI] Meat v. Machine

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Sat Jan 1 17:58:28 UTC 2011

On Fri, Dec 31, 2010 at 04:19:43PM -0800, Samantha Atkins wrote:

> Until human level AGI (about 3 decades out seems to be current
> consensus), humans are needed.  Given that we need space based

Do you see the difference between having a system execute a plan
with a turnaround time of 2.5 seconds or one with half an hour?

Go buy a Kinect, put in a 2.5 second FIFO delay, and try building
something in SL with it. Or just add a 2.5 s FIFO in the driver
for mouse/6DOF controller, whatever use you.

Now push the FIFO to 10 seconds, 30 seconds, 1 min, 5 min, 10 min,
30 min. See the difference?

Now think about what a simple collision avoidance would
do. Just push semi-blindly, see the system settle into
a nondesaster state. Now think *reflexes*. The dumb
spinal cord is on the Moon, 2.5 sec turnaround time away,
your brain is here.

Everyone seems to think it's realtime fine-motorics,
or bust. Not so. Yes, there's a difference between 30 ms
and 2500 ms. But there's a much larger difference between
2500 ms and 1800000 ms. That's one hell of a handicap,
even without microgravity.

> resources before three decades from now we must build out human
> support local space/lunar infrastructure.

Humans are irrelevant. At least when it comes to space.
You want to go places, you have to stop wearing the
stupid man suit.

> You need a lot of high mass initial equipment to lift from

I disagree that you need to launch large (100 ton)
packages. I think you can work well with >100 kg
packages. With plasma thrusters you can probably
deliver one half to one third of LEO payload to
Moon surface semi-softly. So a ton to LEO is a
useful threshold.

> the gravity well in any any case to have a basis to built
> from this side of mature nano-assembler seeds which are
> at least 5 - 6 decades out.     It is a good question what
> the minimal amount of lift needed is given the current tech

We're well in excess of what we need. It would be nice
if prices would come down a bit, but that is not actually
relevant.

More importantly, you can start working now, as none of the
parts rely on particular features of transport system you're
going to use 15-20 years from now.

> state of the art over time.  The amount of mass you need
> to lift from earth in inversely proportional to the
> sophistication of the technology.     But it is today quite substantial.

I disagree it is substantial. And the only way to know is
to start working *now*, so that in 15-20 years you have all
the numbers.