[ExI] simulation as an improvement over reality.

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Sun Jan 2 16:56:47 UTC 2011

On 1/2/2011 3:50 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

>> >  Except to the original, marched off to the dungeon.
>
> AARGH. Once and for all, in two synchronized instances
> either two of them are marched off (in lockstep, sharing
> a single point of eyes), or none.
>
> Why is it so difficult to understand synchronized systems?

But this is where any such discussion here keeps going off the rails.
Who cares about "perfectly synchronized systems"? The only relevance of
"copying" I can imagine is recovery from cryonic arrest (where you have
to hope nobody is stupid enough to perfectly copy your vitrified brain
and leave it at that) or uploading to a computer substrate VR or robot
body (where by definition the copy does not share the same viewpoint
with the biological original). Fanciful thought experiments that have
you stepping into a black box and two of you emerging instantly in
lockstep are uninteresting and irrelevant to the real world, even if Lem
or John Varley or Greg Egan or Franz Kafka could write an amusing story
on such a premise.

Damien Broderick