[ExI] Fw: Re: atheists declare religions as scams.

spike spike66 at att.net
Wed Jan 12 06:28:02 UTC 2011

Subject: Re: [ExI] Fw: Re: atheists declare religions as scams.

On Sat, Jan 8, 2011 at 8:04 AM, Ben Zaiboc <bbenzai at yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Wait, what?  If they are fundamentalist theologians, how can they
discount the supernatural?

>Simple: they (try to) declare themselves outside the rules of logic.

Or they are quiet disbelievers.  When one is hired to teach theology, the
school looks at the professor's degree, but do not quiz the professor on his
beliefs.  This became a huge issue in Seventh Day Adventism in 1980, when
they tried to do exactly that: have the theologians sign up to a consensus
statement of belief.  That didn't work out.  One does not need to be a
believer to teach effectively.  One does not need to be a believer to write
inspiring books and articles.  Yes I know it sounds contradictory.

I ask you then: suppose I personally knew a way to write something
inspirational.  I know an inspiring story based on something that actually
happened, which I could fictionalize to protect the identities, and it
involves one who came thru a very trying time by faith in god.  It really is
a good story.  But you know and I know I am a flaming atheist now.  I could
use a pseudonym.  Is it ethical for me to write it?  Would I be lying in a
sense?  I have been struggling with this question for years, and I am asking
for advice here.  Johnny?  Adrian?  Ben?  Damien?  Keith?  Others?