[ExI] Fw: Re: atheists declare religions as scams.

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 07:34:16 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jan 11, 2011 at 10:28 PM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:
> I ask you then: suppose I personally knew a way to write something
> inspirational.  I know an inspiring story based on something that actually
> happened, which I could fictionalize to protect the identities, and it
> involves one who came thru a very trying time by faith in god.  It really is
> a good story.  But you know and I know I am a flaming atheist now.  I could
> use a pseudonym.  Is it ethical for me to write it?  Would I be lying in a
> sense?  I have been struggling with this question for years, and I am asking
> for advice here.

Faith in god, like many things, can be used for good or ill.  Just because we
see how it is so often (arguably the majority of the time) used for
ill, does not
mean we must disavow that it can ever have purely beneficial results.  You
could thus write the story as is with no ethical conflicts...technically.

Or, acknowledging that it is a story (and fictionalizing to protect identities
might be a good idea regardless), you could alter the faith in god to, say,
faith in humanity, or some other equivalent, depending on how exactly this
faith helped out.