[ExI] mass transit again

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Jan 13 00:03:04 UTC 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 8:48 PM, Ben Zaiboc  wrote:
> This doesn't constitute an argument in favour of public transport, though,
> it's an argument in favour of learning to drive properly.
>
> Comparing traffic accidents with assaults is not comparing like with anything like like.
> Nobody gets mugged as a result of their poor walking skills.
>
> I wouldn't be surprised if, once self-driving cars become the norm, driving
> (or being driven, rather) was much safer than public transport, even taking
> into account the fact that the public transport will be self-driving as well.

No, It's statistics.  Even if you are the best driver in the world,
some other idiot might drive into you. (Note. It's always the other
driver who is the idiot). Or, your brakes might fail, or you might nod
off for a moment, etc. Nobody is a perfect driver (present company
excluded, of course).
You will never get people to drive safely. It's too much fun to take
risks. And if they consider themselves to be an expert driver, they
take even more risks. Any reduction in road deaths and injuries are
achieved by things like seat belts, crumple zones, banning drunk
drivers, etc. *not* by better driving.

On public transport, you can nod off, be drunk, be on the phone, etc.
and you will still get safely to your destination. (99.9%).

I doubt if self-driving cars will become widespread in the US. The US
is too sue-happy. Look at what happened to Toyota when they had a
dodgy brake pedal. Robot cars are just begging for class action
lawsuits.

BillK