[ExI] mass transit again

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Jan 13 00:57:57 UTC 2011

... On Behalf Of BillK

>...I doubt if self-driving cars will become widespread in the US. The US is
too sue-happy. Look at what happened to Toyota when they had a dodgy brake
pedal. Robot cars are just begging for class action lawsuits...BillK

There is a roadblock that can be overcome, but only by having the
self-driving feature as a customer aftermarket add on.  I agree they will
never come from the factory, but if the customer adds it and it gets in an
accident, the customer is liable.

I have a feature on my Detroit which is a backup warning. I have found it
completely reliable to the extent that I can put my car in reverse and not
even bother looking into the mirror.  If that warning tone doesn't sound,
there is nothing back there.  Of course if it fails and I hit something, the
cops don't care if I have one of those devices, it's still my fault.

Even so, I have an easier time imagining an aftermarket add-on which
automatically brakes if the driver fails to do so.  The driver still must
drive, but it takes on one more function.