[ExI] mass transit again

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Jan 21 07:45:29 UTC 2011

On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 04:34:31PM -0700, Max More wrote:

> What about some clever combination of public and private transport? I
> vaguely remember a design (from MIT?) for a system that would let you
> drive your own car onto a palette, which would them be transported
> with other cars on an elevated rail-like system to major destinations,
> after which you simply drive away to your specific destination.

There are still several drive-on/drive-off trains in Europe,
but they're mostly for long-distance (drive on, sleep overnight,
drive off at your destination). I don't care much for those.

I also tend to carry a bit in a backpack, but the commute
(either by muni train or mountain bike) is ok for that.
In principle you can use a light hand truck/trolley with the
better kind of wheels.