[ExI] atheists declare religions as scams.

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Sun Jan 23 10:49:15 UTC 2011

2011/1/22 Darren Greer <darren.greer3 at gmail.com>

> >I'm always amazed at how few biblethumpers seem to know this.<
>
> I got over my amazement at the christian proselytizer's inability to
> interpret the texts they are quoting from years ago. Being gay, I have made
> two arguments  based on logic with religious homophobes a hundred times that
> they always manage to deke around or entirely ignore.

What's the big deal about the bias against gay sex? Masturbation or
zoophilia or coitus  interruptus are equally condemned my monotheistic
ethics, and, were it not for the obvious Darwinian disadvantage they suffer
when they try to make it an unqualified rule for the entire population,
strands prohibiting sex altogether would have become dominant since long.

But yet at least in the christian context there is little doubt that
absolute chastity represents the very best and what is right at least for
the religious élite, if not for the unwashed masses.

The West has survived and flourished in this respect only thank to
doublethink, schizofrenia and the fact that even at the top of christian
power many people liked perhaps a few fancy mythological stories, but could
not care less about the rest and behaved in a perfectly "pagan" fashion.

Or perhaps it is the need to overcome in everyday life such repressive
values (which extend far beyond sexuality) which made us stronger than
others in the past ("what does not kill thee, etc.").

Most New Atheists concentrate too much IMHO on the judeo-christian confusion
between the mythical and the empirical realm, and too less on the fact that
how Nietzsche has shown well enough one may become a perfect atheist and
still remain largely and sometimes unconsciously conditioned by values which
remain fundamentally christian.

--
Stefano Vaj