[ExI] Faecal transplant. No, really.

Darren Greer darren.greer3 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 22:43:01 UTC 2011

>I read an article in New Scientist this week about how doctors were
experimenting on treating a variety of conditions by changing their
intestinal bacteria via "faecal transplant". I was a little skeptical, but
the research quoted exists.<

It's now fairly common hospital practice for treating c. difficile and other
intestinal bacterial infections in Canada.  A freind was just didcussing
today having performed the procedure recently. Mostly in an effort to gross
me out while I was eating. Worked too.

d.

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 4:51 PM, Tom Nowell <nebathenemi at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecal_bacteriotherapy has a good set of
> references with links to papers on treating bowel conditions. However, the
> New Scientist article includes experimental therapy for Parkinson's, which
> makes you wonder how much interaction there is between our brain, our
> immmune system and the vast ecosystem that is our digestive tract.
>
> Tom

*"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard everyone would do it. The
'hard' is what makes it great."*
*
*
*--A League of Their Own