[ExI] Help with freezing phenomenon

spike spike66 at att.net
Thu Jan 27 21:18:48 UTC 2011

... On Behalf Of Mike Dougherty
Subject: Re: [ExI] Help with freezing phenomenon

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 12:04 AM, spike <spike66 at att.net> wrote:

>> Perhaps Max's staff might want to join our efforts in finding a better
way to preserve sushi and valuable brains.

>Sounds like you are preparing for a Zombie Apocalypse.  I'm not exactly
comfortable with "sushiable" being applied so casually to brain
preservation. I expect Max would be more.. professional.  :)

Ja but of course Max *IS* more...professional, specifically in cryonics.  I
am merely a potential volunteer.  That being said, Jeff's original thought
provoking question was based on the preservation of valuable meat, in this
case fish.  I went off on a wacky tangent and never did address the original
question.  We should revisit that, and apologies to Jeff for hijacking his
thread.

> I'm not exactly comfortable with "sushiable" being applied so casually to
brain preservation...

Sushi is a good example, because sushi is expensive for a reason: raw fish
must be perfect.  It must be visibly perfect.  Any discolored, bruised, or
in any way imperfect fish is not sushiable.  Regarding the association of
brain preservation and sushi, keep in mind that much of the task of
cryonics, if not most of the task, is actually marketing.  If people knew
and understood the concept of cryonics, Alcor would have more business than
it could handle.  Even with the current or higher price structure, there are
*plenty* of proles who would sign up for that in a heartbeat, if they
properly understood what was being done there.

Consider for example, one completely irrelevant aspect of the mechanics of
stacking patients in the dewar.  Perhaps for convenience, some of the
patients were oriented head down.  This is completely irrelevant which
direction the 1 G field is oriented, but from a marketing perspective it was
a disaster.  We here can scarcely imagine why every article on Ted Williams
mentioned the fact that he was upside down in that dewar.  What the hell
difference does that make to a frozen corpse?  Do let me assure you, it
matters in the world of PR and marketing.

Alcor has a far bigger task than the technical aspects of cryonics, in
effectively marketing the idea.  I am taking on some of the technical side,
the far easier part.

My use of the sushi comparison is an example of bad marketing, and thanks
for pointing it out Mike.  If you are squicked by that, then other potential
customers might be squicked too.  No need to explain it, it just is.