[ExI] Help with freezing phenomenon.

spike spike66 at att.net
Fri Jan 28 06:54:27 UTC 2011

From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of John Clark
Subject: Re: [ExI] Help with freezing phenomenon.

On Jan 27, 2011, at 12:04 AM, spike wrote:

Then a second synchronized and 180 degrees out of phase microwave source
could be injected from the other direction. [...] We could experiment with
this theory by scavenging a couple of magnetrons

from two identical junky old microwave ovens.

I don't see how that could work with a magnetron, I think you'd need a
coherent beam from a microwave LASER, a MASER; although a Klystron might be
good enough.John K Clark

Ja agreed, but I now think there are better ways to accomplish the same
thing, which is to avoid microcracking the outer layers of the brain by
inducing it to freeze from the inside first.  This was I think the spirit of
Jeff Davis' original question regarding the thermal conductivity of water
vs. ice.

Suppose we supercooled the brain slightly to about -5C, perhaps by immersion
of the patient's head in a saline solution or a mixture of water and
ethylene glycol, or blood for instance.  When the head is uniformly slightly
supercooled, we put the container with the head in solution on a turntable
and spin at some moderate rate of say ~100 RPM.  The centrifugal force would
cause the pressure at the center of the brain to be lower than at the
periphery, so the freezing initiates there.  The heat of fusion from
freezing is steadily drawn out of the solution, and the ice forms at the
interface between frozen and nonfrozen brain tissue, so the brain freezes
from inside to out.  No shell freezing and cracking that way.  The freezing
point is lower toward the outer regions of the brain since it is under
slightly more pressure, but not a lot of pressure.  Just enough to depress
the freezing point a couple degrees, so that it freezes last at a
temperature of perhaps -8C.

For high end Ted Williams-ish patients who insist on full body cryonics,
that procedure could actually be used without severing the head.  A full
body could be immersed and placed on a turntable, the brain frozen inside
out.