[ExI] Oxford scientists edge toward quantum PC with 10b qubits.

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Fri Jan 28 16:05:45 UTC 2011

On Fri, Jan 28, 2011 at 10:23:16AM -0500, John Clark wrote:
> On Jan 28, 2011, at 8:52 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:
>
> >>  Richard Loosemore wrote:
> >
> >> We are a long way away from AGI, unless people start to wake up to the
> >> farcical state of affairs in artificial intelligence at the moment.
> >
> > Finally something we can agree on.
>
> Have you seen this?
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFR3lOm_xhE

I'm quite aware of IBM's activities in general,
and this one in particular.

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=site:postbiota.org+jeopardy+IBM

> This was just a test run, there is supposed to be a 3 day competition between the 2 all time best human champions and the machine sometime in February.

It ain't AI until it's competitive with human jobs. *All*
human jobs, across the board. Whether CEO or plumber.

Isolated capability peaks mean nothing. You can't fill in
a landscape with enough peaks. Doesn't work that way.

A human baby starts with very little, and gradually floods
the capability landscape on its own. Any artificial equivalent
needs to be able to do that at least.