[ExI] Oxford scientists edge toward quantum PC with 10b qubits.

John Clark jonkc at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 28 17:25:38 UTC 2011

On Jan 28, 2011, at 11:05 AM, Eugen Leitl wrote:

>  Isolated capability peaks mean nothing.

Nothing? The pattern is always the same. Solving calculus problems required intelligence, beating a Chess Grandmaster required intelligence, being a great research Librarian required intelligence, and beating a Jeopardy champion required intelligence; but then computers could do these things better than humans and suddenly we found that these activities had absolutely nothing to do with intelligence. How odd.

>  It ain't AI until it's competitive with human jobs.

Many members of our species won't be satisfied even then.
And so just before he was sent into oblivion for eternity the last surviving human being turned to the Jupiter Brain and said "You're not 'REALLY' as smart as me".

 John K Clark