[ExI] Oxford scientists edge toward quantum PC with 10b qubits.

Adrian Tymes atymes at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 19:43:18 UTC 2011

2011/1/28 Dave Sill <sparge at gmail.com>:
> These isolated systems act intelligent, but they're not really intelligent.
> They can't learn and they don't understand. Deep Blue could dominate me on
> the chess board but it couldn't beat a 4-year-old at tic tac toe. Make a
> system that knows nothing about tic tac toe but can learn the rules (via
> audio/video explanation by a human) and play the game, and I'll be
> impressed.

Just to toss out a bit for contemplation:

How do we know that there is not some similar trick, whereby a system could
do this and still not be what we would consider intelligent?

Or rather, what kinds of tricks might allow for such a thing?

Can't think of any?  Neither could those who declared that chess grandmastery
required true intelligence...but they might not have known of the types of AI
tricks that were to come.

There may be a good answer.  If there is, it would be useful, in this
discussion,
to have it.