[ExI] AI Motivation revisited

Stefano Vaj stefano.vaj at gmail.com
Tue Jul 5 17:07:25 UTC 2011

On 3 July 2011 02:36, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:
> We both (all) know the meaning of
> AGI in the context of an artificial intelligence email list.

I am not sure I understand what the choice of using or non-using it
might imply, but if AGI indicated Artificial *General* Intelligence,
there might be something mystifying in the term "general", since
either it refers to universal computing - and in that case it must be
noted for the umpteenth time that almost everything is a universal
computer - or it implies that some more fundamental differences would
exist amongst different universal computers other than a performance
edge at a given task, which is basically false.

--
Stefano Vaj