[ExI] Universal Computing Red Herring [WAS AI Motivation revisited]

Richard Loosemore rloosemore at susaro.com
Wed Jul 6 14:39:40 UTC 2011

Stefano Vaj wrote:
> On 3 July 2011 02:36, Mike Dougherty <msd001 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> We both (all) know the meaning of
>> AGI in the context of an artificial intelligence email list.
>>

> I am not sure I understand what the choice of using or non-using it
> might imply, but if AGI indicated Artificial *General* Intelligence,
> there might be something mystifying in the term "general", since
> either it refers to universal computing - and in that case it must be
> noted for the umpteenth time that almost everything is a universal
> computer - or it implies that some more fundamental differences would
> exist amongst different universal computers other than a performance
> edge at a given task, which is basically false.

Can I just reiterate that universal computing has absolutely NOTHING to
do with any of the issues related to Artificial General Intelligence, or
the possibility of a hard takeoff, or the viability of human-like
artificial intelligence.

I do not remember who first raised the topic of "universal computing" in
this context, but it is a red herring.

Richard Loosemore