[ExI] Social right to have a living

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 03:20:27 UTC 2011

2011/7/9 Will Steinberg <steinberg.will at gmail.com>:
> The sad thing is that so much Libertarian thought completely ignores the
> good deeds of the federal government.  I recently read a story about a
> Native American family in Nevada who got chased out of a gas station by
> skinheads in a car, forced into an accident, and then beaten.  The skinheads
> were friends with the cops and they didn't get in any trouble.  Of course,
> this is wrong, so the FBI is investigating.

And yet, this incident, as regrettable as it is, is absolutely NOTHING
compared to what the government has done to the Native Americans. We
regular white folk think the government is heavy on us, but we haven't
seen anything compared to the near genocide perpetrated by the US
government on the Native American population. The good deeds of the
federal government towards Native Americans can be counted on one
hand... In fact, I can't think of ONE outside of favorable judicial
review of the government breaking the hell out of old treaties. Of
course the one I'm thinking of took 80 years to come up to the supreme
court where they found in favor of the Native Americans. If anyone can
show that light government works, it is the Native Americans prior to
being overrun by the whites. It's a good example of why pure anarchy,
even though it can produce a very nice lifestyle, isn't quite enough
to insure that lifestyle's longevity in the face of foreign invaders.

I think it is absolutely funny as hell that you would bring up good
deeds of the federal government and native americans in the same
argument. It's just too easy. :-)

> I guess it is easy to think everyone would play nice if we erased all the
> rules, if you live in San Francisco or something and can't see the rest of
> America over the mountains, but keep in mind that there are places all too
> willing to slip back into Wild West chaos.  You don't have to support Big
> Brother to support sensible infrastructure.

I don't think libertarianism, or even anarchy as Samantha explains it,
means lawlessness.

-Kelly