[ExI] seamless uploading

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 20:48:00 UTC 2011

2011/7/14 Amon Zero wrote:
> Although, to be fair, I'll hazard the following predictions, since you
> asked... most are surprisingly negative, for me!  :
> - Neurological understanding doesn't catch up with scanning tech any time
> soon, which probably makes typical uploading scenarios problematic. That
> would probably just a matter of time to get that approach working, but
> identitities being distributed across (social) networks, plus cognitive
> prosthetics (e.g. artificial hippocampus), make full uploads slightly,
> though not entirely, redundant.

This new book reviewed in Boing Boing would support such pessimism.
<http://www.boingboing.net/2011/07/14/far.html>

The Singularity is Far: A Neuroscientist's View
David J. Linden at 11:15 AM Thursday, Jul 14, 2011

Kurzweil then argues that our understanding of biology—and of
neurobiology in particular—is also on an exponential trajectory,
driven by enabling technologies. The unstated but crucial foundation
of Kurzweil's scenario requires that at some point in the 2020s, a
miracle will occur: If we keep accumulating data about the brain at an
exponential rate (its connection maps, its activity patterns, etc.),
then the long-standing mysteries of development, consciousness,
perception, decision, and action will necessarily be revealed.

I contend that our understanding of biological processes remains on a
stubbornly linear trajectory. In my view the central problem here is
that Kurzweil is conflating biological data collection with biological
insight.

BillK