[ExI] seamless uploading

Amon Zero amon at doctrinezero.com
Thu Jul 14 19:35:57 UTC 2011

On 14 July 2011 20:28, Amon Zero <amon at doctrinezero.com> wrote:

> On 14 July 2011 20:00, Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
>

>> My mental models might be faulty, but I doubt it's due lack of data.
>>
>> Which developments do you see that help us achieve escape velocity?
>> Let's compare notes.
>

> Heh... Eugen, I have to say that I couldn't even begin to play that game -
> whatever your models are, it's safe to say they're better than mine.

Although, to be fair, I'll hazard the following predictions, since you
asked... most are surprisingly negative, for me!  :

- Neurological understanding doesn't catch up with scanning tech any time
soon, which probably makes typical uploading scenarios problematic. That
would probably just a matter of time to get that approach working, but
identitities being distributed across (social) networks, plus cognitive
prosthetics (e.g. artificial hippocampus), make full uploads slightly,
though not entirely, redundant.

- People get to mars and it doesn't matter.

- Social and economic chaos (i.e. more than we have already).

- Probably something like a hard-takeoff Singularity by 2075. Obviously not
the kind of thing you can argue coherently without writing a doorstop-sized
book, but my personal hunch.