[ExI] Brave New World?

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Fri Jul 15 01:47:12 UTC 2011

On 7/14/2011 3:10 PM, BillK wrote:

> <https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-9sZ4UrEbkmc/Th07XH-1FxI/AAAAAAAAFwQ/infLdL62i2Q/1243328602_school-abuse.gif>

This use of cellphones (a la "Don't tase me, bro!") is a key moment in
the third volume of Robert Sawyer's quite nice AI-out-of-the-net
trilogy, WWW. There's a bully about to whale into a nerd; a gang of kids
stands around them, some yelling "Fight! Fight!" as the miserable
bastard will. Then another kid pulls out her cell, holds it high, and
yells, "Sight! Sight!" Other kids take up the digital record crusade. My
question: does anyone actually use this term, in such confrontations? I
expect that they will now, even if they didn't before.

Damien Broderick