[ExI] Human Enhancement & Life Extension: Alchemists of the future

John Grigg possiblepaths2050 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 19 20:33:19 UTC 2011

 Natasha Vita-More wrote:
How would you link transhumanism to the flavor of Alchemy that ties into
science, rather than mysticism? In other words, what chemistry is crucial to
human enhancement that propose extension of life and expansion of personhood
onto non-biological platforms that was present in the works of protoscience
and the Alchemists such as Paracelsus and Magnus?

Or do we look at Alchemy as a weird science that has little, if any,
significance to the present development of life extension because of its
cultish nature and our need to sever that journalist and resulting
postmodernist accusation about transhumanism that has so arrogantly bitten
our behinds for two decades?

I am fascinated that chemistry in part sprang from alchemy.  I personally
think that alchemy (which is today disparaged) and life extension have an
obvious connection, because the latter also does not get very much respect!
lol  But just as alchemy lead to real science and a changed world, so will
transhumanism be a light in the tunnel for humanity to know what is really
possible, regarding the transformative convergence technologies that are now
developing.

John