[ExI] Human Enhancement & Life Extension: Alchemists of thefuture

Natasha Vita-More natasha at natasha.cc
Wed Jul 20 03:16:45 UTC 2011

Mike Dougherty wrote:

2011/7/19 Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc>:
> How would you link transhumanism to the flavor of Alchemy that ties
> into science, rather than mysticism? In other words, what chemistry is
> crucial to human enhancement that propose extension of life and
> expansion of personhood onto non-biological platforms that was present
> in the works of protoscience and the Alchemists such as Paracelsus and
Magnus?

"I have a theory about Alchemy that as a science it was an attempt to create
useful metaphors for grounding abstract conversations.  I imagine that
"turning lead into gold" was less about a chemical reaction affecting
nuclear forces and more about taking a common base metal and turning it into
something valuable - the analogy being the common man's base nature can be
treated according to some process that turns him (or her) into a more noble
state of being.

Yes, understood. I don’t know if "noble" is the right term because it makes
me think of "dignity" (Fukuyama's argument) and which I think conjures up
images of superiority, rather than wholesomeness, well-being, intelligence,
creativity, empathy, and integrity (components of wisdom).  So, I would say
"... into a wiser state of being."

"My understanding of transhumanism is that the goal is the same, though
perhaps with a different working model.  Maybe it was the promise of the
mystical quintessence in the alchemist's/philosopher's stone that kept so
many committed to the pursuit.  Yeah right, perhaps it was the money."

Perhaps. :-)

"Perhaps the chemistry isn't as important as transmuting the figurative
"gold" back into readily attainable metals the average consumer still finds
valuable?  Life expansion is a good, understandable example."

I'm not sure because chemistry is the mechanics of the brain and if the goal
is whole brain emulation, then chemistry play a key role. Also, if
perceptual experiences are necessary (along with agency) for transferring
personhood, then the chemical interactions - the chemistry of
life/interaction/emotions/communication would be essential for persons'
memories and identity. (I'm sure some AGIist will argue with me, but I won't
budge on this because it is not all in the brain (unless we are radical
constructivists) and as I see it wisdom is largely based on experience,
choice, and iteration.

Natasha