[ExI] Moooon

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Thu Jul 21 19:39:55 UTC 2011

On 07/20/2011 03:54 PM, Damien Broderick wrote:
> On 7/20/2011 5:44 PM, Will Steinberg wrote:
>
>> Get on it, then!  Other people aren't going to do your work for you.
>
> Will, I'm pretty sure I've done a great deal more in the last 50 years
> toward encouraging humanity's desire to extend our technology beyond
> this planet than you have in what I assume is your fairly brief life
> so far.

Thus far there is no compelling ROI, even across a decade or two, for
exploitation of the moon.  At least I have not found a compelling case
after looking into it for some time.  If you have one then let's hear
it.  He3?  Nope, no fusion to use it and He3 is not in easy to mine
local concentrations.  Other lunar mineral wealth shipped back to
earth?  Nope, Clementine and other surveys show that minable
concentrations (under earth conditions which don't apply on the moon)
are not that obvious and the additional cost to mine on the moon and
ship back to earth is way uncompetitive.  Tourism?   If and only if you
get enough infrastructure there to support it.  Water to volatiles
including rocked fuel?  Depends on who you ask but the proven water
reserves are not that extensive to say the least.

The moon is quite challenging due to the long winter night, temperature
flux, and the really nasty lunar dust.  At the least exploitation will
require dropping small nuclear plants in the short term for adequate
power across said lunar night.  You also need a lot of highly capable
autonomous and/or tele-operated bots capable of dealing with the
environmental issues.  You can't do all the needed work with astronauts
without a lot of infrastructure already in place, if then.  Doable, and
worth it from a long-term point of view but a huge money sink for quite
some time.    Governments cannot do it as they are all facing serious
economic challenges.

- s