[ExI] Extropian sf writers

David Lubkin lubkin at unreasonable.com
Fri Jul 22 15:32:44 UTC 2011

ddraig wrote in "Re: Moooon":

>How many SF authors are here, anyways?   You, Charlie Stross  (hey
>Charlie, I read one of your books, I quite liked it), anyone else?  Do
>you find it frustrating that you can imagine and write about a clear
>path of development, but real world implementation issues bog
>everything down?

I don't know who's on extropy-chat currently, but I'd list the
following as members of the extropian tribe who have sold
sf, on the basis of self-description or participation in
transhumanist organizations or mailing lists.

Greg Bear /  Gregory Benford / David Brin
Damien Broderick / Cory Doctorow / David Lubkin
Charles Platt / Marc Stiegler / Charles Stross
Vernor Vinge

Who should I hang my head in shame for forgetting?

There are other names that come to mind, of people we like,
who are clearly familiar with what we're about, but I think
would be a stretch to include. (Such as Neal Stephenson.)

And no including a long-dead writer, however tempting it
might be to claim Olaf Stapleton or Doc Smith.

-- David.