[ExI] Libertarianism wins again...

Dan dan_ust at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 26 13:24:47 UTC 2011

Not really. You seem to be narrowly down any objective value system to one that's purely stifling. But core moral precepts in such a system would incluyde, in my reckoning, things like allowing people to determine how they live their lives. One might see these as meta-values or, as Den Utl and Rassmussen put it, metanorms. (I don't completely agree with them at every turn.) For instance, in the social sphere (and since libertarianism kicked this off, I guess this isn't completely tangential), a metanorm would be Kant's view of treating each person (human or posthuman) not as a means but as an end in her or himself.

Or do you disagree with this? Would you say that this is merely a personal preference and that a moral or political system that made some or all people means to others' ends would be just as good? But doesn't that relativized system seem to be just the sort of system that was used to justify traditional hierarchical moral and political systems? (Granted, traditional defenses of such systems often appealed to reason and nature -- e.g., some people are naturally weak and should be ruled.)

Regards,

Dan