[ExI] homo sapiens as endangered species

Kelly Anderson kellycoinguy at gmail.com
Sun Jun 5 03:45:26 UTC 2011

On Sat, Jun 4, 2011 at 4:36 PM, Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> On 6/4/2011 4:31 PM, Anders Sandberg wrote:
>
>> Such shielded sites might also be losing importance, since they are
>> vulnerable to sufficiently targeted nukes if they are known and the
>> nuclear threat is being downplayed anyway.
>
> And yet I read in "Five Eye-Opening Facts About Our Bloated Post-9/11
> 'Defense' Spending"
> JOSHUA HOLLAND - AlterNet :
>
> <One line-item suggests that 9/11 has been used to justify greater military
> spending across the board; the nuclear weapons budget has shot up by more
> than a fifth after adjusting for inflation. How intercontinental ballistic
> missiles that can vaporize whole cities are useful in a 'war on terror” is
> anybody's guess.>

Not that I'm usually in the business of defending the government, but
I would suspect that most of the post 9/11 expenditure would be
towards better protecting our nuclear arsenal from terrorists, rather
than increasing it's size and potency. In fact, I've heard that the
arsenal has been downsized quite a bit. The Russian stockpiles have
been going down too, with our assistance to keep things safe, and our
help in paying for it.

-Kelly