[ExI] Collaborative map of transhumanists worldwide

Michael Anissimov anissimov at singinst.org
Mon Jun 6 17:21:07 UTC 2011

You can encourage your friends to add their emails. The map is just fun,
it's already getting messed up because some people feel the need to move
other people's pins because it "blocks" them at the highest view level.

In a map with many people, it's just a fact that you'll be blocked at the
highest view level. When people actually care and zoom in closer, no one
blocks anyone. Only the most recent people to add will even be visible at
the highest level, and also, if people lack the skills to create and upload
a simple avatar, they probably deserve to be blocked anyway.  :)

On Mon, Jun 6, 2011 at 11:09 AM, Jules Wellinghoff <jwelling at oberlin.edu>wrote:

> > Please join the map, don't be shy!
> >
> > http://www.acceleratingfuture.com/michael/blog/2011/06/map/
> >

> http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?hl=en&ie=UTF8&t=h&source=embed&msa=0&msid=209539885845342747759.0004a4c305aafb16d95bc&ll=39.909736,-42.890625&spn=169.144782,272.109375&z=1
> >

> > --
> > Michael A.
>
> Michael, the idea of having a map like this seems cool to me. However,
> is the idea to encourage local collaborations on things? If so, I
> think it would be very useful if people were encouraged to include an
> email address when they mark their location on the map. That way,
> people would be able to contact people who live near them. A couple
> people seem to have had this idea when they added their location, but
> most people didn't give a means to contact them. As it currently is, I
> feel like the map isn't that useful.

Michael A.