[ExI] Media generations

Anders Sandberg anders at aleph.se
Sun Jun 12 23:18:46 UTC 2011

spike wrote:
>> Being old is mostly a state of mind.
>>

> The rest of being old is how tragically many years it has been since I was
> born.

It might also have to do with the realization that your reference
culture is now significantly different from the culture surrounding you.

The talking heads vs text/blessings of skipping television discussion is
partially this, partially a realization that certain media are good for
some things. Since we tend to become used to some media but not others
we also tend to form "media generations" that prefer using certain media
but not others. I'm fine with cellphoning but less eager to message, I
happily email and blog but find twitter rather hopeless as an input
source - and social networking sites a scary attention diverter. Other
people have made or adapted to other media choices, and communications
between these media generations will be limited.

--
Anders Sandberg,
Future of Humanity Institute